JH Volunteer Sunday Roles
These roles are assigned in Planning Center Online (PCO) and scheduled 2 weeks in advance.
As a Junior High volunteer, the expectation is that you will:
- go into PCO weekly to accept any new assignments.
- familiarize yourself with the flow of the service for that week.
- know the ins and outs of the role you will be performing that week PRIOR to our team meeting on Sundays at 8:30am.
- utilize the block-out feature (in advance, not the night before) in PCO for any scheduled absences you may have on a Sunday.
Below are the roles and their descriptions that you may be assigned to:
- This role helps set the energy in the room! If you are assigned to announcements, be prepared to welcome new students from the stage, introduce your self, be high energy and engaging, clearly articulate the announcements of the day that a Junior Higher would like to sit and listen to.
- Call time for run-through is mandatory. Run-through starts at 7:45am so please arrive by 7:40 to be in place. Run-through is intended to hit transitions, not practice. You should know your announcements and fun elements that you will be incorporating prior to run-through starting. If 2 people are scheduled for announcements, please collaborate PRIOR to Sunday morning to work through team components you plan to do (who’s talking about what, who’s opening/transitioning etc.)
- This role helps to build on the friendliness factor and transition to the fun factor in the room! Games aren’t played just to have something fun to do, we play them to break down walls! When we play stage games, please remember that it is more important to engage the crowd in the game instead of focusing on how well it’s being played or how much fun the people on stage are having.
- It is the responsibility of the games person to have all of the game components in place PRIOR to run-through (all props/game pieces, prizes, music etc.)
- Call time for run-through is mandatory. Run-through starts at 7:45am so please arrive by 7:40 to be in place. Run-through is intended to hit transitions, not practice. You should know your game and fun elements that you will be incorporating prior to run-through starting. If 2 people are scheduled for games, please collaborate PRIOR to Sunday morning to work through team components you plan to do (who’s talking about what, who’s opening/transitioning etc.)
- This role needs to be completed during the message to be the most accurate. Please count the following people and put the recorded numbers in the groupme app before the JH service ends:
- Leaders (any person in the room that is not a junior high student ex: adult leaders, band members, tech booth staff/volunteers, parent in the room watching service)
- This role is generally 2 people and is our safety net for our check-in process. Be friendly and engaging (give high fives and say hello using students names) as the students enter the student center during count down. You are in charge of coordinating with the booth and Ken/Ash on when doors are ready to be opened.
- Be sure to check that you see a printed name tag, if they don’t have one “bounce” them back to check-in before letting them into the student center.
- Remain at the doors until 10 min into the service to catch any late students that may not have checked in.
- This role has an 8:20 call time to ensure the kiosks are up and running prior to the 8:30 all leader meeting. Kiosk check-in is one of the first impressions we get to make with students so be sure to be smiling and whenever possible, remember their name!
- Please make sure at least 1 kiosk member remains outside at the kiosk until at least 15 min into the start of service to catch any late students.
Go To Specialist:
- This role is responsible for being available for Ken and Ashley in the event that a last minute item is required or needed to be tracked down.
- This role is responsible for recording “B role” footage during service. (ex: video of students during worship, students playing on the patio, students taking notes during service etc)
- Any other media devices that might need to be turned on to record during the service (outside of the camera in the tech booth) is to be turned on by the multi-media host. See the speaker for the day for specific direction.
- Footage acquired should be sent to Ken or Ashley via email or Dropbox by 5pm that evening.
New Student Table:
- This role is our “best first impression” role! Please be friendly and welcoming as well as facilitate a student to student connection (either utilizing our student leadership team members or a compatible student)
- You are responsible for the set-up and “look” of the new student table. Nothing too cluttered.
- You are responsible for capturing COMPLETE information on our new students card, hand writing their name tag, giving them swag items and hooking them up with the VIP Table leader before they leave your table.
- This role is also responsible for writing welcome cards (and addressing the envelope) and placing all cards on the back table in the student center for leaders to sign by the end of service.
- This role is like a party hostess! Mingle, walk around, make sure everyone is having a good time! Look for the wall-flowers, the kids who are standing alone or look afraid, and invite them to hang out with you/chat with you. Utilize our student leadership members as well to help create student-to-student connection.
- This role is responsible for making sure the patio and inside the student center are staged correctly according to that day’s PCO flow by checking in with the set-up team and VIP table team.
- This role is also responsible for making sure that the doors’ opening is coordinated with the countdown and the booth team.
- This person is also responsible to run back stage pass on Sundays that it comes through
- This role is responsible for putting items on stage for games and message as well as removing items for games and message.
- It is the responsibility of this person to connect with the speaker of the day to ensure they have clear direction for message stage needs as well as the games person to clearly communicate stage needs prior to and upon completion of the game.
VIP table leader:
- This role is responsible for setting up and maintaining the stock of candy for the VIP table.
- This person is the connector for our new students to feel welcomed and included in the room. Be sure to stay engaged with the new students via conversation and help them get connected with student leaders to promote friend connections.
- This person is responsible for contacting by phone and email the new students each week to follow up on their visit and welcome the student back the following week.
- This person needs to be up to date on all CSJH activities and upcoming events to be able to effectively give the info to students and their parents.
- This role will make sure the “usher table” is staffed and effectively running to help catch new kids walking in late and help get them plugged into the service.
Set up and tear down:
- This role has a call time of 7:45 to ensure all patio set-up is complete by the 8:30 leader meeting.
- All components of the patio experience are set-up by the set-up team depending on the season and appropriateness of the weather.
- This team will effectively utilize student leaders to help aid in set-up and equip them to independently run various areas of set up and tear down.
- Tear-down during the JH service of all JH branded items and patio items that high school is not going to cross utilize.
- This team is responsible for making sure all items in the JH closet are put away neatly and in an organized manor. The JH intern will oversee this process in the JH closet as well.